Hey everyone,

I recently picked up Jim Kitchen's Baseball again, and I've been
experimenting quite a bit with the batting practice. I've had trouble for
quite some time determining what I should and should not swing at, and I
found that the last section or two of the pitch sound tells you if the pitch
is going to be high or low. On the curve ball, for example, an E flat pitch
tells you that the pitch will be low; a roughly C natural tells you it will
be high. Anything between that is a fair ball.

I have two issues with this, however.

First of all, the time you're given to determine the pitch of the ball is
pretty negligible-in the tenths of seconds range. You have just a split
second between hearing the pitch of the throw and the prime swing time to
decide whether you should take a shot at the ball.

Second, and more important: many people don't have perfect pitch, so the
ability to determine the difference between a B flat (strike call) and a C
natural (ball) would literally be impossible for them.

A couple of questions, then:

Do any of you who play Jim Kitchen's Baseball have a different method to
determine what is a strike and what is a ball? Is there something in the
pitch sound that I'm missing?

Do any of you even worry about the accuracy of the pitch or do you just
swing at everything that's thrown at you?

I have some definite opinions on this, but I want to find out first if I'm
missing a key piece of the puzzle.

Thanks for any light you can shed on the subject.

Ryan