To: "Gamers Discussion list" <gamers@audyssey.org>
Sent: Friday, May 22, 2009 5:24 PM
Subject: [Audyssey] Exciting MOTA News

Hello gamers,
Earlier this morning when I released the USA Games News I made mention of a major bug in the cross platform Genesis Engine. Basically, that the engine was hogging too much processor power and ram than it should. Well, it so happens after several hours of looking over the code line by line, inch by inch, etc I have found the source of the problem. It happens to be a very massive, extremely huge, like totally unbelievable memory leek of godlike proportions.Actually, forget leek and call it more like a full blown
flood of memory loss.
In short, the basic problem was this. The soundClose function in my Audio3D class failed to close sounds when it was called upon to do so. So if i closed a gun sound to load a new one in its place, had the game speak a message and dispose of it, the game just kept adding a new one on the system heap without ever actually removing the old sounds and speech messages from memory. Obviously, the end result of this was a massive heap overflow. The engine kept piling sound files, speech messages, etc onto the heap and of course sooner or later the game would run out of available memory and die. After fixing said bug the game runs fast, light, and smooth so far. Oh, and i put the high quality 44100 KHZ sounds back in the game and no serious memory issues. It uses more memory of course, but it isn't going to crash the game on a fairly decent computer now. Just thought you might like to know about this exciting news flash.
Smile.