Hi Nicol,
While I was growing up in the 1980's there were several arcade machines around in the malls, in most department stores, and there were even sspecialized arcades filled wall to wall with arcade machines IN terms of what games were available back then most games were first introduced on a standalone arcade machine, and then later released for your Atari, Colleco, Nintendo, etc.. I couldn't even begin to give you a comprehensive list of games that were out bac then, but I personally played Donkey Kong, Packman, Asteroids, Double Dragon, Poll Position, Centapede, Ninja Turtles, Galaxian, Space Invaders, etc just to name some of the games I played on the classic arcade machines before they went out of fassion. As far as how they operated a player would drop a quarter, that's $0.25, in the slot and it would last untill you lost all three lives. Each machine had a built in controller such as a joystick, racing wheel, whatever that was specially designed for that game. If you were playing a racing game like Poll position you would sit down in an arcade machine designed to look like a car and it would have a break peddle, stearing wheel, buttons, and the windshield was the game's screen. It was actually better inside the arcade machine than playing it on the Atari, because they tried to make it feel like driving a car in the arcade machine where the Atari was just a simple console that hooked up to your TV. Other games like Double Dragon weren't quite as fancy. It was just a typical stand up arcade with a joystick and buttons on the front and a big monitor displaying the game. You would use the joystick to move Billy around on the screen and you would use the various buttons to kick, punch, and otherwise beat the stuffing out of the thugs on screen. As I said it wasn't anything special. When i was growing up our local Pizza Hut had a Packman arcade machine. What was unique about the arcade machine is that it was set up like a normal booth, witht the game screen built into the table top, two benches on either side, and two sets of joysticks and buttons for joint player game play. So every kid I knew of use to take turns playing that game while our families waited for our pizza to arrive. My point is every arcade machine was different. Often they were specially crafted for the specific game it was built for. Others were built using a generic arcade machine type. They were quite common until the early 1990's or so, and steadily became less common. These days they seam very few and far between. Mainly you find them in the big cities or a place like Chucky Cheese where are large number of kids go to eat pizza and have fun playing games.

Nicol wrote:
Hi all
Those of you who were sighted before you became blind,  I've got another
question for you.
I'm very curious.
How did the arcade machines in shops work like?
What games could you play on such an arcade machine?
Could you play pack man?
How many money did you have to throw into such a machine to play and then
for how long could you then play?
I have asked my mom, when she was a kid if they had arcade machines  in
their days.
My mom says in her child days they didn't had such things, they played
outside, making their own toys.
When I went  with my parents to buy groceries when I was a kid, we walked
past game machines but I do not know wich games they offered.
Do you still get these arcade machines in American shops today?