To: <gamers@audyssey.org>
Sent: Saturday, October 17, 2009 7:48 AM
Subject: [Audyssey] playing Simutronics games via telnet

Hi, all. I recently was reviewing the archives of recent messages and saw a discussion of the muds offered through Simutronics. In case anyone is not aware, it is possible to play these games with your favorite mud client of choice. To do so, you first must have an account with Simutronics for the game you wish to play. Here is how I've been able to play these muds through telnet in the past.

Once you have an account and have downloaded the Simutronics launcher program and Wizard front-end, I'd also encourage you download a program called Simutronics game entry, which will allow you to log into the game by inputting your account name, password, and the game you wish to play. It may be called Ultimate Simutronics Game Entry now. Once you have logged in, the wizard program will load and put you into the game, and you'll likely hear some music to let you know you're in the mud. Then you'll have to type quit to exit the game.

Here's where the fun begins: playing through telnet. When you log into the game with the wizard, a file is put into the root directory of your hard drive, usually your C drive. The file is called gse.~xt. It contains the authentication login key you'll need to access the game, and as an added bonus, it contains the host name and port you will telnet into, which I think is something like gs3.simutronics.net 4900. Copy everything after key= to the clipboard, as it will be the login key you'll use momentarily. It'll look like a long series of letters and numbers.

Now you will run your mud client of choice and telnet to gs3.simutronics.net 4900. When you connect, your screen reader won't say anything. Now just paste the login key and hit Enter, then type the word JAVA, all in caps, and press Enter, whereupon you should see "please wait for connection to game server." Now you're playing the game using telnet.

If you log out and wait more than fifteen minutes or so, the login key you used to get in will be invalid, so you'll need to enter the game using the Simutronics Game Entry program and quit, following the steps I mentioned earlier, in order to play once again.

The other Simutronics muds, Dragon realms, Alliance of Heroes, and Modus Operandi, each have their own telnet host and port names, but you can find those by looking for the gse.~xt file in the root directory of your hard drive.

In case any are wondering, the Wikipedia entry on Gemstone IV mentions that using telnet to play Simutronics games is possible, and truthfully has been for years. I am not affiliated in any way with Simutronics, but just wanted to let players know that one can play their games through telnet and how to do so.

Hope you all will find it useful. Now if there was a way to make the Wizard client for Legends of Terris or Legends of Cosrin accessible with JAWS or Window-Eyes. Their wizard program behaves very similarly to Simutronics' wizard program, repeating lines of text and generally making the play experience rather inaccessible. In case anyone is wondering about these two games and can work some technical magic through scripting, they can be found at www.legendsofterris.com and www.legendsofcosrin.com. As with the Simutronics games, these two are also pay to play, around $13.50 per month if using Paypal.

Regards,

Chad

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4520 (20091018) __________

http://www.eset.com