Oops, I just noticed after looking at my message again, I kept writing the file name as sge.~xt. Of course, what I meant to write was gse.~xt. And the results were still the same. grin

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jeremy Hartley" <jeremyhart...@comcast.net>
To: "Gamers Discussion list" <gamers@audyssey.org>
Sent: Sunday, October 18, 2009 10:56 PM
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] playing Simutronics games via telnet

Hello.

I will now post my findings regarding this method of connecting to simutronics games, just after trying to connect using a new character.

I have seen an article similar to the post below, in an issue of audyssey magazine from a while back. In fact, what prompted me to write my messages a few months ago to this list regarding playing simutronics games with a mud client was that, following those instructions given below, there did not appear to be a file called gse.~xt in the root directory or any directory for that matter. I then ran a windows search on all files and folders on the hard drive, and no files of any kind were listed with the ~xt extention.
After reading chad's message, I decided to try it all again.

So, I just recreated an account, created a character from the website, selected the wizard front end, downloaded the game launcher and connected via the wizard front end, and quit to log out. Then, went to the downloads section of the play.net site, downloaded the Simutronics desktop game entry, installed it, ran it, selected my character and the wizard front end, logged in, quit, and then looked for the sge.~xt file in the root directory of the hard drive. And, like I said, there was no file on my hard drive with that extention. Also, and finally, I did tripplecheck to make sure that I have show hidden files turned on in the options view tab.

After looking at the downloads page, the simutronics desktop game entry program appeared to be the only game entry program around. Perhaps simutronics has changed something between gemstone III and gemstone IV? When were you able to successfully log into these muds in the way described below?

Thanks for posting this, and I will monkey around with the other files listed in the simutronics directories at some point. Maybe all the info is hidden in another file with another extention. grin

Jeremy