De: Thomas Ward <thomasward1...@gmail.com>
Para: Gamers Discussion list <gamers@audyssey.org>
Data: Quarta, 28 de Outubro de 2009 20:10
Assunto: Re: [Audyssey] MOTA Side-Scroller vs FPS

Hi Milos,
The problem is that I took orders for Montezuma's Revenge in December of
2007, and shortly afterwards I was ordered to stop developing and
selling the game by the game's copyright holders. Since that is the law
in the USA I had no choice but to comply with that court order, or I'd
have to get a lawyer and fight it out in court. Since I wasn't about to
fight it out in court I complied.
Now, I started work on Mysteries of the Ancients. In order to satisfy
those customers who purchased the game I promised to deliver on a
classic side-scroller, but that isn't what happened. I have dug myself
into a hole by listening to people who want modern features So some
people who purchased the game want their money back, because they aren't
getting a classic side-scroller. Still others won't buy the game if I
don't add some of these  features. So I'm pretty much damned if I do and
damned if I don't. As a result I no longer want anything to do with this
game, because there is no unified group of customers. I basically have
two groups each asking for two different styles of games. The best I
could do was is sort of merge the two types together and come up with
something that is a little of both. Still even that doesn't make
everyone happy. So I'm trying to figure out if there is a consensus one
way or another.
Then, there is my own opinion and feelings to think about as well.
Generally when I work on a personal project I like to create it the way
I want to create it, but since I took orders for this game I feel I owe
them the game they paid for. Yet since I can't give them Montezuma's
Revenge exactly I've been trying to come up with a similar product with
people nagging my heals that they don't want that kind of game. If it
were totally up to me I'd do an FPS, but I have customers to listen to,
and so I don't feel the decision is completely mine to make. So that's
the problem.

HTH