Hi tom.

I fully agree with you to an extent and distinctly see your position.

I first became interested in audio games myself because games like Shades allowed me to play game genres I normally do not have enough sight to, ---- sinse 3D games are far too complex for me to visually cope with.

to be brutally honest, I do certainly stil have the sight to play side scrollers, and in fact probably spend as much time on those sorts of games, ---- either in original versions or more recent internet remakes (particularly of Turrican), as i DO PLAYING AUDIO GAMES. i'M IN FACT BETA TESTING A SIDE SCROLLER WITH EXTENSIVE LOW VISION ACCESS AND SAPI MENUES AT THE MOMENT.

i AM HOWEVER CONSCIOUS THAT QUITE OBVIOUSLY THIS OPTION ISN'T THERE FOR MOST PEOPLE WHO PLAY AUDIO GAMES, ---- WHICH IS A GREAT SHAME.

It IS ONLY REALLY DUMB LUCK THAT i HAPPEN TO stil have a small amount of working vision and can thus stil play Mega man, metroid, turrican etc, and I'd absolutely love to be able to pass on to everyone who hasn't been as lucky with vision as I have, the hours and hours of fun i've had over the years with side scrollers.

in fact, if you create a useable 2D game creation tool with the Genesis engine, when my Phd is done in a couple of years I well might have a look at realizing a personal dream, and creating an audio turrican game, ---- complete with just as much exploration, all the weapons, and the award winningsound track composed by Chris Huelsbek, ---- which is as famous as the game's themselves.

I'll certainly be looking forward to the 3D game on a personal level, as this is certainly a game type I can't play, ---- but I'm glad developement of the 2D game will continue to an extent as well.

Beware the grue!

dark.