To: <Gamers@audyssey.org>
Sent: Sunday, December 20, 2009 2:49 AM
Subject: [Audyssey] speculative html game programming

Hi.

this is just a bit of idel speculation on my part here.

something I've always wanted to do for many years is program a text rpg in html along the lines of Sryth. I've spent a fair amount of time working out hopefully interesting systems for game mechanics such as tactical turn based combat, exploration and wilderness navigation, several different areas, and indeed a hopefully interesting experience system.

all this is thus far totally in speculation land, and sinse I'll be busy with my thesis for another couple of years, i'm making no promises.

Just for interests' sake though, I would be quite interested to know how you would go about programming an html gamebook style adventure, ---- even a basic one with the standard fighting fantasy rules.

I know some basic formatting commands in html, ---- but not to write in systems for hp, dice combat or checking inventory. Would that require javascript or a similar second language?

As I said, this is certainly in no way a promise, more a sort of "how realistic would my speculations be once my thesis is finished" sort of thing.

While I understand much of the theory of programming, ---- having studdied both formal logic and metaphysics, and had vaguely in depth chats with my friend who's a software designer, --- I've little idea of the practicalities.

if someone has any suggestion for something I can look at I'd be interested to here it, ---- and who knows, time permitting i might have a crack at writing something myself (sinse afterall some good descriptive writing and basic dice combat rules can go a long way to making a good gamebook).

Beware the grue!

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4702 (20091219) __________

http://www.eset.com

database 4704 (20091220) __________