From: gamers-boun...@audyssey.org [mailto:gamers-boun...@audyssey.org] On
Behalf Of Philip Bennefall
Sent: Sunday, March 14, 2010 1:01 AM
To: Gamers Discussion list
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] Genesis Engine was Retro Gaming

Hi Thomas,

A good summary, in my opinion. The problem I have with a, shall we call it
clicky-pointy tool is that it's ridiculously limited. Somebody asked on the
audio game maker forum how easy it would be to make a sports game (I think
it was basketball or socker or something). The response was, the engine
doesn't support making a ball at this stage... I'll say no more.

The way I'm doing it in Bgt, as I mentioned previously, is to build a
powerful base that is capable of making pretty much anything. I still have
to add a few things such as file IO, some processor demanding AI that can't
be done so well through the script, parsing directory trees, encryption and
decryption of files and strings etc, 3d vectors and advanced math,
eventually networking and so forth. Though over-all, the core of the engine
will stay unchanged and the only thing that will be added is extra modules.
These, the script writer can simply include and use as though they were
functions and classes that they had written themselves; #include, in other
words. This will enable me to go as high level as I could possibly wish,
even to the point of providing almost finished games where all you need to
do is make a few tweaks to variables and supply sounds. This, however, would

not be a good foundation for a core which is what the audio game maker tried

to do. In short, I'm trying to provide the best of both worlds; extreme
simplisity if you want it, and complete control once you've mastered the
language operation enough.

Kind regards,

Philip Bennefall