Hi Will,
Like Phil and I said you can, but you have to be careful in how you do
it. If you want to create a classic remake of Castlevania don't call
it Castlevania call it something else. Avoid using names, characters,
music, and sounds from a copyrighted work. Game concepts are fine as
long as you are willing to add some new and unique content to it.
Shades of Doom was enspired by Doom, but is not close enough to the
original work that David Greenwood has to worry about copyright
issues. Instead of enemy soldiers and demons Shades of Doom uses
mutant humans, rats, cyborgs, and a new back story for the game. He
basically used the Doom idea to create his own game which is similar,
but the important stuff in the game is different enough to be
perfectly legal.
Back when James North was running ESP he took two classic games
likePackman and Space Invaders and came up with a couple of truly
unique arcade games such as DynaMan and Aliens in the Outback. Both
were borrowed from the classic arcade genre, but with a little
creativity he came up with something new and unique. That's what we as
a community have to do as well.