Hi Dark,
Well, as has been said many many times already it is all up to the
copyright holder how they want to handle it. Some don't care about
remakes and some do. I've seen several freeware classic remakes for
Linux such as Packman, Asteroids, Bomberman, Super Breakout, and
Activision hasn't said anything about them. I'd assume given the age
of the games Activision probably doesn't consider those games
commercial best sellers any more, and don't really care about the
clones floating around the net.
However, as you said Nintendo is another story. They have consistantly
squashed remakes, and actively protect their best sellers like
Megaman, Castlevania, Mario, and others. So it is a good idea to stay
away from Nintendo's copyrights  for that reason.
However, this only proves the point though that some companies are
more relaxed than others. You never really know how a company will
respond to your project until it is out there, and they know it is
there. some will ignore it, and others may take some sort of legal
action. Who knows?