From: gamers-boun...@audyssey.org [mailto:gamers-boun...@audyssey.org] On
Behalf Of Thomas Ward
Sent: Friday, April 23, 2010 11:19 PM
To: Gamers Discussion list
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] Games and windows 7?

Hi Ryan,
As a long time Windows 7 user I can safely say most of the accessible games
out there will run with only miner to no problems on Windows 7.
The one thing to keep in mind here is to deactivate user account control for
some older games like the Kitchens Inc games that try to access secured
directories  such as c:\Program Files\Kitchensinc instead of putting their
save game files in the user's application data directory. Plus you will need
to install the VB 6 runtime libraries for many older games as those no
longer ship with Windows 7 by default.
Oh, the other thing you will need to be aware of is games that use heavy 3d
hardware mixing such as Shades of Doom and Tank Commander will sound a bit
off because the Windows Vista and Windows 7 kernel uses a totally different
sound mixer than XP and the two are not completely compatible. As a result
some games won't sound as precise under Windows 7 using DirectSound 8. I'm
given to understand David Greenwood for one is  aware of the issue and is
working on resolving this issue eventually for his titles. Philip is also
looking ino supporting XAudio2 for Windows 7 which will resolve the issue
for BGT and his Streemway products. Don't know about anyone else though.
Anyway, other than that I've got a lot of accessible games running here and
don't have many serious problems with them. Things could be a bit better if
some of these games were better maintained and updated, but they work for
the most part.

HTH