To: "Gamers Discussion list" <gamers@audyssey.org>
Sent: Friday, May 28, 2010 6:44 PM
Subject: [Audyssey] The other side was drastic change for audio games

Hello all

 Okay here I go wading in to the optomistic side of such a discussion.
True our community lags behind the mainstream market when it comes to
gaming. The points on this have been made by others so I won't repeat them
here.
 What I would like to point out to everyone is rather the achievements
which have been made in accessible gaming.  SOD was quite a pioneering
venture at the time, nothing like it had been attempted before.  We have
online play against other people with titles like Sound RTS, Rail Racer.
Chatting [granted it's text] with RR, All In Play,  Expansions and
improvements it's covered with ongoing updates from Final conflict, and the Pinball party pack. User creation TOC, and it looks as though Entombed will
soon have such a feature.  Other devs continue to improve their games,
squashing bugs or improving aspects of the game.
 The point I really would like to drive home here is that we've damnwell
come a long way in a much shorter period of time then mainstream. Pong, or
the old console TeleStar, even the Atari 2600.  That is surely the
70's/80's.  Our devs have only been going at this for what?  The answer
being about 15 years give or take.  This compares with 30 or so?
 I believe the gaming for the blind has moved alot quicker in the overall
scheme of things. I suggest instead of always looking at what isn't there,
look upon the distance which has been covered in such a short period of
time.
 Before it's said yes there is lots of room for improvement.  I believe it
will happen, but there will be some time taken for this evolution.
 One last point online scoreboards.  It didn't take long for those to
happen.
 Overall I'd rather encourage the inovation and envolope pushing of all
accessible devs rather then pointing out the shortcomings.

Thanks for reading
Ron
P.S. see other arguements on things like budgets, teams and such.