Hi Hayden,
Actually, according to the game's official story you are descending
and not ascending through the mountain base. As I recall during the
mp3 Kelly reads you land your ship on top of the mountain, the landing
pad, and then descend into area 1 where you get locked in. You then
have to proceed down through the various levels to find the experiment
control box.
As for messages areas 1 through 8 all have messages. By the time you
reach area 9 you should have a total of 8 messages in your inventory.
if you don't you missed some of them somewhere. If you only have five
then there are still three left to find.