The message can be a little tricky since apart from level 1, all messages are now random. They're found on the very last monster in the level usually, and I mean that quite literally. So if you don't explore every room and slay absolutely every monster you come across there's a very good chance you won't find the message for that level. The one for level five can be tricky since it's very easy to miss, to pick one at random, the rat in the toilet since the bathroom on that level generally has two to three mutants, one of whom must have been taking a bathroom break when the experiment went wrong and mutated him. Whatever the reason, he's stationed himself right in front of the toilet and doesn't move. If you accidentally destroy the toilet or one of the monsters does this before you're able to flush out the rat, then you won't be able to get the message for level five, even if you kill everything else since the game keeps track of the number of monsters remaining in each level. I actually sometimes think it might be helpful at least to have a monster counter but so far none has been forthcoming.
We are the Knights who say...Ni!
To: "Gamers Discussion list" <gamers@audyssey.org>
Sent: Monday, June 14, 2010 10:01 PM
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] A Couple of SOD Questions

Hi Hayden,
Actually, according to the game's official story you are descending
and not ascending through the mountain base. As I recall during the
mp3 Kelly reads you land your ship on top of the mountain, the landing
pad, and then descend into area 1 where you get locked in. You then
have to proceed down through the various levels to find the experiment
control box.
As for messages areas 1 through 8 all have messages. By the time you
reach area 9 you should have a total of 8 messages in your inventory.
if you don't you missed some of them somewhere. If you only have five
then there are still three left to find.

Hi All,

As I have just recently beat SOD for the first time (aaa, sweet success) I have two questions. Firstly, I'm confused on how the floors are layed out. I
would expect you to ascend through the mountain base, but then there are
openings in the floor in two levels. The other is concerning messages. In my last game of SOD, I managed to collect only five messages. Does level 5 even
have a message? If so, please tell me where as I have not found it.

Best Regards,

Hayden