The main down side to Audio Quake I saw is that I couldn't find the demo, and that seems about as far as the accessibility went apparently.
We are the Knights who say...Ni!
To: "Gamers Discussion list" <gamers@audyssey.org>
Sent: Wednesday, July 07, 2010 7:48 PM
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] Game Compatibility was Tomb Hunter Error

Hi Dark,
Well, that's why I wish more game companies would do what ID Software
has done in the past with several of their major titles and release
their old releases as open source after so many years has passed. ID
Software released Doom I in 1993 and Quake I in 1996 and both are now
open source games. You can take the source code modify it, recompile
it, and there are several Doom and Quake clones floating around as
third-party developers have maintained the software.  This also has
the advantage of audio game developers taking up the original game
source code, upgrading it, and making it accessible like Audio Quake.
Of course, the biggest advantage here is by releasing the source code
to the general public like that is that any game developer can upgrade
it and maintain the game beyond its official support cycle. I can't
tell you how many games I've purchased over the years that simply will
not run on XP, Vista, or Windows 7 because the company stopped
supporting it years ago.
One game that comes to mind is Star Trek Borg. Back in the mid 1990's
I loved that game, it was an awesome fps game, but it only worked on
Windows 95. When I upgraded to Windows 98 the game stopped working
correctly and the company did not release any patches or upgrades to
fix the problems with Windows 98 so I had to basicly pitch the game
into the trash. Needless to say if it wouldn't run on Windows 98
Windows XP, Vista, and Windows 7 support is out of the question. If
the game had been released as open source someone could have upgraded
it independantly of the game developer.

Cheers!