Hi Bryan,
Right. Audio Quake certainly could have been done better in my opinion
etc, but that wasn't really my point. The fact is ID Software put
Quake out there in the public domain and I could grab the source and
produce a fully accessible Quake clone tomorrow if I were so inclined
to do so. I could even rewrite the graphics engine to support Direct3D
11 and the audio engine to use XAudio2 if I wanted to make a Windows 7
version that is bleeding edge.  Same goes for Doom as well. All of
that is technically possible because they didn't hang onto the source
and chose to release it to the public. If more companies would follow
their example we could easily see more compatible versions of old
software running on newer platforms or even on different platforms
than it was originally designed for.