Hi Hayden,
Well, it is a bit off topic but I'll answer the question just to
clarify my earlier statements anyway. I'm not exactly the best person
to ask about that since I'm not really a Cobol programmer myself, but
essentially Cobol has been used for various things such as developing
programs to handle sales reports and things like that. Government
agencies use Cobol based programs to keep track of tax reports etc.
You are right that Cobol doesn't create text documents, but instead
stores the reports in a binary file that are saved on the mainframe or
server. When it comes down to creating business reports Cobol is still
the leader in that field, and the language itself is undergoing a
major upgrade this year. So Cobol isn't exactly dead, and apparently
still has a future in some aspect, but the younger generation of
programmers like myself aren't being taught Cobol as an essential part
of our programming training these days.

HTH