HI Tom and list
Thanks Tom, I downloaded the c++ runtime setup from your website.
Filename: vcredist_x86.exe
Now I am able to launch the game.
But now I experience another problem.
And I fully realize and understand that the problem is definitely not on
your side.
This is what happens:
If I execute the speaker test option in the main menu, the voice saying left
and right comes from the centre.
This makes it harder for me  to find items.
For example if I want to go up a rope, I have to take single steps and issue
the view command a lot of times, until I hear: rope is above 0 metres.
And with the 2 fire pits, instead of one on my left and one on my right, the
sound of the fire is extra loud because its in mono.
In other words, it sounds as if both fire pits are on my right side.
But like I said, I fully understand that the problem is not on your side.
Because on my mom's pc I am able to hear everything in sterio.
For instance, on my mom's pc, I can more easily find a  rope by listening
from which of the left and right side it is coming.
So does this mean  that my laptop does not have a 5.1 or 7.1 sound card?
Other games such as pipe2 that makes use of sterio works fine on my laptop.
For instance, in pipe2, I can hear if steam is coming from the left side or
right side.
If I understand you correctly from your previous posts, Tom,  it will not
fix the issue if I download direct x june 2008 from your website as beta14
does not make use of direct x anymore?
I cannot telll for sure if my mom's pc have a 5.1 or 7.1 sound card, but if
the game will only work in sterio  on a 5.1 or 7.1  sound card, then it
means that my mom's pc definitely have a 5.1 or 7.1 sound card.
So is my only solution to get a 5.1 or 7.1 sound card for my laptop?
Any help is much appreciated.