Hi tom
Thanks for writing back.
I need some more help please.
On 09 October 2010 12:46 AM you wrote:
"So I'm guessing if your computer was made any time in the past five years
you probably have some minimal 5.1 surround sound support on the sound
card's chipset, but maybe not the speakers/headphones you are using with
it".
I bought my laptop last year some time, I cannot remember exactly when.
But I cannot remember when this laptop was made.
I am using a pair of headphones with a microphone attached.
I do not know the model and make of the headphones.
"In other words you should be able to open the game's speech directory and
play the file Test_Speakers.wav with any program that can play sounds
Goldwave, Sound Forge, Windows Media player, etc and it should play the
sounds in the left and right speakers".
I played Test_Speakers.wav in winamp and the panning was 100 percent
correct. I heard it in the left ear and right ear.  I played
Test_Speakers.wav in windows media player and there is almost no panning.
The voice saying left is  coming from the centre and when it says right its
about 5 degrees right of centre.
"Also does it make a difference if you are using headphones or speakers"?
I only own this laptop, and it doesn't have good speakers for playing games.
I live with my mom and therefore I cannot play games using speakers as it
will disturb her and other people.
"There are separate settings in the control panel for each of these and I'm
wondering if something is off in your sound card settings".
Can you please give me some help in  changing my sound settings in control
panel?
I am afraid if I try to adjust settings, I am going to mess up my computer.
"Sounds should definitely pan some and not be absolutely static on your
computer."
The panning in  other games that makes use of sterio such as pipe2 works
fine.
Any help is much appreciated.