Hi Nicol,
Well, it all depends on the software that came with your sound card.
However, I've got a Soundmax AC-97 onboard sound card in the desktop
I'm using at the moment. Under Windows XP I would do something like
press control+escape to open the Start Menu, go to the Windows Control
Pannel, and then find the Soundmax icon. If you have a Realtech or
something else the icon should be named appropriately for your sound
card or manufacturer.
Anyway, once I click on the Soundmax icon in the Windows Control
Pannel I have a dialog that pops up with settings for that sound card.
First is a listbox with some presets such as headphones, stereo, 5.1
surround sound, etc. Since I mostly use stereo headphones I select
stereo headphones from the presets. The next listbox is a list of DSP
effects such as Cave, Forest, Hallway, Underwater, etc. Basically, the
DSP effects just adds echo or changes the way things sound on your
sound card. I generally leave it set to None. Click on Ok and you
should be good to go.
However, as I said these directions largely depend on your sound card
and sound card software. This is just a quick example of the software
that came with my desktop computer's sound card before I eraced XP and
installed Ubuntu Linux on it.
I'd also recommend upgrading to service pack 3. Service pack 2 is
quite old, and there are a number of bug fixes, security updates, etc
in service pack 3 I'd highly recommend having.

HTH