Hi Harmony,
Well, as far as I know most graphics designers don't scan images into
the computer. They typically use some high priced drawing software to
draw trains, cars, jets, whatever and then save the images on the
system. After they have all the images created the developer can use
something like OpenGL or Direct3D to render them on screen and blend
the various images together to make realtime animation.

Cheers!