Hi Lori.  I'm not sure what's happening here, but the procedure I use is:
Select and copy the file(s) I want to put in the public folder,
Go to the system tray and select drop box, then select the open drop box
item
Navigate through the resulting window to the public folder and paste.

If I've missed something you're doing that invalidates this suggestion let
me know and I'll do some more investigating.

        Chris Bartlett