Hi,

When it comes to "good 3d audio output" it all depends mostly on the
hardware on the end users machine. You have to have a high definition
sound card with either 5.1 or 7.1 surround sound support and either a
set of 5.1 surround sound compatible speakers or 5.1 surround sound
headphones. A generic sound card and a plane set of stereo headphones
from Wal-Mart or K-Mart are not going to cut it. You need high grade
commercial quality stuff.

However, that's only half of the story. The developer has to use a
good 5.1/7.1 compatible sound mixer such as OpenAL or XAudio2. The
truth is while DirectSound 8 does have a virtual 3d buffer it doesn't
actually offer 5.1 surround sound or 7.1 surround sound. It doesn't
actually fully support cards such as the Soundblaster Audegy IV which
has 7.1 surround sound built in.

So as to your comment "we can't make audio games more 3d than they
already are" is just false. We certainly can do so but we need
developers to begin migrating from DirectX 8 technologies like
DirectSound and embrace new libraries like XAudio2. We need to invest
in better hardware to take advantage of that new software support.