I was about to ask the same question. I don't remember heartbeats... and I just played a game. lol. So unless I'm missing something...

At 06:26 AM 08/11/2010, you wrote:
Hi Phil,

What heartbeat sound? When her health is low Angela starts breathing
hard, but no heartbeat sound that I know of.

Anyway, I could probably have her gasp or something every few seconds
or so to let you know she is losing health. As I recall I had that
feature in Montezuma's Revenge and that would be, relatively speaking,
pretty easy to do.