From: gamers-boun...@audyssey.org [mailto:gamers-boun...@audyssey.org] On
Behalf Of Thomas Ward
Sent: 28 November 2010 11:34 PM
To: Gamers Discussion list
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] USA Blackjack 1.0 Released!

Hi Nicol,

Okay? Well, I can say right off that creating Algebra formulas is a
key part of programming. A formula like
p = 2l+2w
would calculate the perimitor of a square or rectangle. For example,
if we are getting into graphics programming an indepth knowledge of
basic geometry is essentual in order to render the graphics on screen
properly using those formulas.

Anyway, another key concept that carries over is variables which was
definitely covered in my Algebra class. In the formula
p = 2l+2w
the letters p, l, and w are variables because we don't know what
numbers/values they contain yet. They are just substitutions or place
holders so to speak. Now, if we assume l is 10 and w is 5 we now get a
rectangle 10 units long by 5 units wide. We can now do the formula by
calculating 2 times l plus 2 times w. After we work the formula we
find out that p, the perimitor,  is 30.

The point I want to get at here is that in any type of programming we
use variables to hold values of a keyboard command, numbers, strings,
whatever until they are needed. If we don't know what a certain value
is we can work a formula to find that out. Understanding variables,
therefore, is critical to even beginning to think about programming,
because variables are used to store information until it is needed by
the program, or use to substitute a value that we don't know yet.
That's why I'm saying that at least high school Algebra is pretty much
essential to beginning programming.

When it comes to game programming it is more so. You have all kinds of
formulas such as how to calculate the distance an object has traveled
in a certain amount of time, calculating where the objects next
location on the grid is, etc. There are hundreds of calculations that
goes into any complex game and it requires some kind of familiarity
with those concepts before beginning.