Hi Darren,

Agreed.Based on my personal experience it is often the case that
accessibility is a totally new concept for the programmer/developer.
Many of them have no idea what a screen reader is let alone how one
works or how to make anything compatible with it. As I said in my
prier post when you walk into a college or tech school class room
there is no time to spend on accessibility issues. The instructer has
several core programming concepts to cover, and by the time the course
is over you end up with the fundimentals of programming, but no real
sense of practical application. Especially, where access is concerned,
because those issues aren't discussed.

For example, back when I was learning one of the .NET languages I
recall a case where the author of the book was demonstrating changing
the size and style of the button in a sample application. I remember
running the application and the next thing I knew Jaws and Window-Eyes
wouldn't read the buttons or tell me what they were. Now, I'm certain
that was unintentional and the author had no idea that would happen
with a screen reader. He was only instructing based on his personal
knowledge and experience with the technology at hand. The big
difference between me and your average Joe was I had a screen reader
running right there, and found out the hard way what not to do.
Another sighted developer would have no reason or experience to expect
that a sample program like that would be inaccessible.