Hi Dark,

Yes, I think suing Sony falls into that type of catagory because it is
making demands without the party offering anything substantial in
return. If we expect Sony, Nintendo, E.A. Games, or anyone else to
listen to us we need to do our part too. We need to research the issue
and first find out if what we want is technically and financially
possible, and then present our case to them  in a reasonable manner.
We'll get further if we actually have a researched case with technical
examples rather than suing with no real idea how our demands can or
should be implemented, because their argument is going to be no it
isn't possible for reason x. Therefore we have to be able to convince
them otherwise. Which is the problem with the Sony case.

The person who sued them made demands that access features be
implemented, but from what I can tell from the public records he and
his lawyer hhaven't got a clue how such features could or shold be
added to their existing titles. It sets a bad president because a
company isn't going to respond positively to that kind of case unless
you have concrete proof that this or that can be done, and that isn't
going to cost them a fortune in gold to do it.

One of the things we need to do is come up with simple quick solutions
they can implement right away. How about a targeting indecator that
lets a blind player know if the weapon is lined up for a kill shot?
What about having a double beep to indicate the top of a menu and a
single beep for each menu selection? How about a few sound files that
speaks the color of the health bar, and other graphical status
messages?

As I said not all the changes we would want or need have to be
complicated. We just need to get those points to the people who count
so they can implement them.  Access doesn't mean big expensive
rewrites or complicated changes to make certain games more or less
accessible.

Here in the U.S.A. the U.S. armed forces has a basic rule regarding
the rules of engagement. Quite simply do not fire unless fired upon.
This is a very good rule to follow in life as it keeps you out of
trouble. When handling big fortune 500 companies like Sony and
Nintendo it applies equally true.

If we get together and file a class action lawsuit against Nintendo,
Sony, Activision, Lucas Arts, and anyone else you want to add to the
mix their p.r. people are going to try and make it look like we are
making unreasonable demands. The press can go both ways with a case
like that, and although it is a civil rights issue it will probably
look like we are being too demanding, expecting handouts, or
whatever.Some of us do have the attitude society owes something to us,
and that will definitely get communicated to the public.

Now, if I wrote a game like Jedi Knight, Super Marrio, Castlevania,
Megaman, or some other high profile game and got sued over it that
would be a different story. I'd probably get public sympathy, because
I'm just an average blind Joe, minding my own business, and not
harming the company and getting attacked. if I counter sued them I
think public opinion would be on my side as the company would clearly
be in the wrong for not creating accessible games in the first place,
and then not being available to be contacted about access issues in
the second. It is a totally different dinamic as far as I'm concerned.
Of course, this is all theoretical, but I don't think those companies
really want to sue a blind person for that fact. It would doubtless
bring about a lot of bad p.r.

Cheers!