Hi,

Not only that but mice are also universally supported where joysticks
aren't. You can create a cool 3d game for Linux using say SDL for
input, as your window manager, and use OpenAL or FMOD for killer 3d
audio, but your support for certain joysticks will be really hit or
miss. Not a lot of joystick manufacturers target non-Windows platforms
so it can be hard to find drivers, even a generic one, that supports
that particular joystick on a non-Windows computer. The same doesn't
hold true for a USB mouse. You can buy a basic one for $10.00 to
$15.00, plug it in, and start using it as a game device right away. It
works just as well on a laptop as a desktop as I have a portable USB
mouse I just plug into my laptop and use it for a game like Rail Racer
all the time.

Cheers!