From: gamers-boun...@audyssey.org [mailto:gamers-boun...@audyssey.org] On
Behalf Of Valiant8086
Sent: Sunday, December 19, 2010 5:41 PM
To: Philip Bennefall; Gamers Discussion list
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] Registration features of BGT

I've been wondering if the online registration couldn't be the more
secure option if you were paranoid.

1. The system would require an account creation which would mean a user
name and password.
A. Creating an account would be required from within a web browser.
Account creation would ask for user name, password, email, telephone
number, and information used to charge the customer for the product.
B. Email verification would be required. Just reply to the email received.
C. Account creation would be automatic, the money charge would be
completed upon account creation.
2. The program itself would run in restricted mode without user name or
password having been given when the program was launched. Similar to GMA
Games.
3. If the user typed in the user name, pressed tab, typed the password,
pressed enter when the program was first launched, the program would
check if the account was valid and if there were any more allowed
registrations in the event that there were a limit. If both checks
returned positive the program would:
A. unlock the full functionality
B. If registration limits were imposed, remove one allowed registration.
c. Call a function on the central server which would Send both the
account holder and the game creator an email notifying that the program
had been registered on a new machine. The email sent to the account
holder would inform that person that they must reply to the email within
24 hours verifying that the registration had been legitimate.
4. If the notification email sent to the account holder did not receive
a reply within 24 hours, the unlock would be reverted back to demo next
time the program connected to the server.
5. Given condition number 4, the program would always quietly attempt to
contact the server when it was launched. The way to crack this in the
most simple way would be to:
A. Have the person who gave you the user name and password reply to
their email to verify your legality in registering your copy of the
program, or,
b. have the person give you the user name and password, then never be
online while starting the program.
6. In an attempt to vix the problems addressed in number 5, have the
program lock itself if it were unable to contact the server in two
subsequent launches maybe?
7. Additionally, the game creator would be able to access the user
profile, seeing their user name, email address and telephone number. The
developer could revoke one or all registrations. The revoke would only
work when the person happened to be online as they started the program.

Ok. It's an overly dramatic, complicated sounding deviation from option
3 in your orriginal list of suggestions. Additionally, I soundly doubt
that as a programmer I would have the patience to handle the coding and
server side developing required to facilitate such a setup. Aside from
that, it sounds like an almost simple, easy way to go about this. Just
enter your user name, your password, then go check your email and reply
to the confirmation email. You could even enter your user name and
password every time you launched the program after the 24 hour unlock.

Right, so I gave my oppinion, but I don't believe I like my own oppinion
now. It'd just cause headaches like options 2 and 3 would, and even if
all of the conditions were checked, you could still just reenter the
user name and password you had for another full day. And a lot of games
won't keep on lasting much longer than a day for some people.

On 12/19/2010 2:45 AM, Philip Bennefall wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> The release of BGT 1.0 is drawing near, and I am currently working on the
registration functionality that will be available to game writers. I have
written an article on the subject which I was wondering if you could all
give me your opinions on, or at least those of you interested in game
creation. Smile.