well the other issue is that fat32 drives can only be 30gb.
you really need to just split the partition.
Though its strange that you can't get an update.
If you can't get an official well crack the system.
Yeah I know this is probably not recomended but I really think that ntfs being the main system needs to be read, the limits for fat32, the performance slowdowns, etc that could be a problem.
On that note, if your device can use a smart card or flash card.
maybe you would be better suited to spend cash on a 32gb drive or 16 or even several 8gb cards to store the images. or what ever. All is not lost, there are probably 40gb drives rooting round, if you get that or an 80gb or even 320 or something then split it into 30gb partitions you may be ok though getting a 40 split to 20gb, or a 60 split to 30 will work. a 40 is about 37 so splitting that in half well have a 30 then another 10 or whatever will work to.
There are various ways round it.
If you were local I have a busted 320 with a mangled case which may or may not work, I have also a 40 which has power issues but the drive may work outside the laptop caddy I have just not bothered testing it.

Well, the fact is I don't believe the ps3 reads ntfs drives... which is what I'm wanting to do. If I do that then I don't have to transfer movies to a disc or burn them if I want to watch them with someone on a TV. I just plug my drive into the ps3 and I'm good to go. But I'll work something out. lol.