That's the point. I had the Neospeach voices set as defaults whenever this happened. So I'm using AT&T Mike at te moment despite that not being one of my favorite voices.
We are the Knights who saaaaay...Ni!
----- Original Message ----- From: "shaun everiss" <sm.ever...@gmail.com> To: "Philip Bennefall" <phi...@blastbay.com>; "Gamers Discussion list" <gamers@audyssey.org>
Sent: Tuesday, January 11, 2011 8:24 PM
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] BGT future development - My replies

on the subject of sapi, bgt should always use the system default unless you choose.

Hi all,

Thank you for the large number of suggestions! I'll respond to you all below in one big message, as to avoid cluttering up the list.

Thomas. If I added force feedback I think it would actually be advantageous for me to do everything through code, as the goal of BGT is to wrap everything for the end users without requiring use of the underlying facilities. I'll definitely look into it.

Kai. I have looked into XInput, but it does not support neither keyboards nor mouse devices which makes it rather unatractive for me. The only reason then to use it would be for extended joystick and game pad support which is certainly an option, but not something I'm sure about just yet. As for Midi support, I don't think this will happen. In order to provide a soundtrack that sounds the same for everyone, one would need to use some sort of instrument bank such as a soundfont or similar to play the music, which would require me to write an entire sound font player. This is not something that I'm very keen on doing at the moment. And as regards to reverse engineering, I'm doing as much as I can to avoid it (e.g. applying layers of encryption, not encrypting the actual script but rather the AngelScript byte code, including verification checks etc) but as with any software, it is not impossible. You can reverse engineer any program if you are determined enough, and BGT is no exception. Having said that, however, it certainly isn't easy. Lastly, Anti cheating is certainly possible in BGT. Right now there are only hash functions, but I can add a crc32 function as well if there's an interest in that.

Allen. Multithreading would indeed be nice, but let's take a look at some of the practicalities there. Let us assume that you have two loops running in two separate threads, and they both modify the same global variable. You have no way of knowing what value the variable may or may not have, at any given time. To prevent this, we would need something similar to a critical section or a mutex to lock access to some resource during a short amount of time while a thread accesses or modifies it. Here we are getting into quite advanced concepts of programming (e.g. thread synchronization), which is way beyond the simplisity goals of BGT. Co-routines is one option that I am considering, however.

Hayden. The idea with the helper layer is that it is meant to be open source, so that users can go in and modify the includes to their liking. Something like the sound pool or the dynamic menu class are perfect examples where the functionality is necessary, but not really as part of the engine's foundation. This way, you are able to choose which of these components that you wish to include in your game rather than having them forced upon you. The engine implements all the low level control such as the sound and timer classes, and then it is up to the script writer to make use of these as I have done in these wrapper modules. In other words, the helper layer is meant to let you pick and choose which bits and pieces you do and do not want, which you can't do with the core functionality.

Ryan. Loading dll's would indeed be very useful, but the main issue is that AngelScript currently does not support variable parameter function calls or optional parameters to functions. I could do something in the preprocessor stage like VB 6 does, where you specify the name of the function that you want to import as well as the dll filename but this still leaves me with the problem of turning the AngelScript classes into structs when these are passed as parameters, for instance. In short, this is probably possible somehow but would require a huge amount of time. I'll keep it in mind though, and if a lot of people want it it will make its way into the engine eventually, as will COM support.

Bryan. I have an idea about what might be happening regarding your Sapi issues. In the dynamic menu class, if you do not specify a specific tts_voice object that you wish to use, a temporary one will be created for you behind the scenes if you are using tts options. The problem as I see it, is that NeoSpeech may not allow multiple instances of its engine to be run simultaneously and so the menu does not work. The solution is to always call the set_tts_object method in the class before calling any of the run methods, so that it uses your existing tts_voice object instance for its output.

Kind regards,

Philip Bennefall