Sorry about that. Left my keyboard mid-post, and came back and accidentally dropped the keyboard, which caused it to insert a bunch of blank lines.

Kai

----- Original Message ----- From: "Kai" <kaixi...@sbcglobal.net>
To: "Gamers Discussion list" <gamers@audyssey.org>
Sent: Tuesday, January 18, 2011 3:48 PM
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] Logitech F510 Overview

Greetings Thomas.

A lot of console games, rather than assigning a specific function to every key, assign certain keys as modifiers, so that holding a key + another key performs a function.

Lets take our Rumble 2 / F510 gamepad and MOAT as an example:
One could hold down L2 (Button 7, the bottom left shoulder button) as a modifier. Pressing left/right would then make Angela run in the respective direction. Pressing up would then cause her to climb, and pressing down could then make her crouch.

Holding R2 (Button 8, the bottom right shoulder button) plus a direction could cause Angela to jump in the appropriate direction.

Holding R1 (Button 6, the top right shoulder button) could modify the action buttons: R2+attack button fires a weapon, while attack button itself would punch/kick.

I don't know how well direct input supports multiple button states, but if it can handle such combinations, a 12-button gamepad would be more then sufficient for games which made judicial and logical use of this facility.

Kai