Hi Thomas,
I have the same problem assigning game pad buttons for Shades of Doom and the Sarah game. As they were originally designed for keyboards there was no reason to limit how many hot keys. In Sarah I am putting several status functions together to get more information with one key stroke and button press. For MOTA you could assign one button and one hot key to tell you your Strength, Health and Oxygen with one key or button. Of course this would slow down the gathering of vital information for the keyboard user.

In the GMA engine, there is a configuration file that allows the player to assign each button to a function that is listed in the keystrokes file. This is not easy to do, as you need both files in a text editor to change the assignments. It would be better if this function could be done inside the game, with a menu of keystrokes and a menu of game pad buttons.
Phil

To: "Gamers Discussion list" <gamers@audyssey.org>
Sent: Tuesday, January 18, 2011 6:15 PM
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] Logitech F510 Overview

Hi Kai,

That's exactly the same problem I'm encountering with joystick support
in Mysteries of the Ancients. I've finally got it added, and am
handing the private test release over to my testers for testing
tonight.

Anyway, the big problem i can see with joystick support is I have more
than a dozen things I'd like to map to the joystick such as climb,
run, jump, duck, walk, punch, fire weapons, draw weapons, and so on.
Eventually, I just run out of buttons to map, and still have several
things left over I need the keyboard for. I have managed to cut down
the number of buttons required by asigning some buttons to menus like
the inventory menu for items/weapons, view menu for looking around,
status menu for speaking status messages, etc but even with that you
really need at least 14 buttons at a bare minimum for a game like MOTA
because it just has too many things to map to the joystick. You can
get by with 12, but anything less than 10 isn't even worth your time.
I'd be interested to know what we can do to resolve this problem.

Cheers!