Hi Dark,

Dark wrote:

i do know exactly what you mean, ---- though I've never played the nes
batman game you mention  (I have played the Mega drive one though.

My reply:

If I'm not mistaken that was a port or remake of the original NES
version to the Mega Drive wasn't it?

Dark wrote:

The game is simple, and the game's goal, blow up enemies, find power
ups, look for the exit, is equally simple, however the execution of
this is far more
complex simply because the levels are such huge mazes.

My reply:

So I gather. Of course I wasn't planning on making Mysteries of the
Ancients quite so large. Obviously, since the inspiration is Tomb
Raider I expect the levels will be more on par with the Tomb Raider
side-scrollers like Nightmare Stone and Prophecy for the Nintendo
Gameboy.

Dark wrote:

As i said, shades of doom deffinately shared some of this feeling,
particularly in not being restricted in progress, but I've yet to see
an audio side
scroller that even comes close.

My reply:

Yeah, I haven't seen one either. Part of it is up until now most
side-scrollers like Super Liam, Tarzan Junior, Q9, etc  were
restricted to a 1d platform run/jump left/right type format. Mysteries
of the Ancients at least offers a virticle movement allowing me to
create some very large levels both left/right and up/down. Should be
interesting.