To: "Gamers Discussion list" <gamers@audyssey.org>
Sent: Friday, January 28, 2011 6:07 PM
Subject: [Audyssey] Windows screen reader software?

Hi folks,

My apologies if I bring up a question that has already been discussed to death, but I don't see anything about this in a casual browsing of the archives.

At first I thought I didn't have any screen reader software, so I couldn't test the accessibility of my RSW website directly. But then I realized that every Mac has VoiceOver built-in, and it's quite nice! I've been going through my web pages with VoiceOver, and I've found a number of minor issues that I'll be correcting.

But I'd hate to fine-tune my pages to VoiceOver's quirks only, without knowing about similar quirks in other software. In particular, what do Windows users typically use to browse the web? I see that Narrator is built-in to Windows, but it's almost unusable. Even Narrator itself recommends users buy a third-party program instead.

So, if I were to purchase one such third-party program for the purpose of testing my website's accessibility under Windows, which program should it be?

Thanks!
David