Thanks for the advice, everyone! I apologize for setting off a firecracker in your midst. :)

I will continue to test with NVDA and back it up with an occasional check with JAWS and Window-Eyes on the PC, and VoiceOver on Mac.

(The accessibility guidelines are useful, and of course I have been following them; but it's still important to know how actual implementations respond to webpages in practice. It's the same reason a web developer should always test his page on several different browsers.)

David