well comercial readers cost loads.
Jaws is not the be all end all though loads of people in organisations will tell you its the only one.
Nvda is a simple reader that is a narater replacement.
If you never have any need to run vertual mode or anything then nvda works quite well.
Its also not to bad though I would never use it as a full time reader ofcause.
Its opensource, you should get on the lists or something if you think you can help they are always fixing things.