Every screen reader user has their preference, or is limited to a particular screen reader due to financial circumstances. For me, JAWS for Windows is my choice because, as far as I know, it is the most flexible. I am fortunate enough to be employed, and can afford it. It is, to me, the best, but is also the most expensive. It suits all of my needs and then some.

---
Laughter is the best medicine, so look around, find a dose and take it to heart. ----- Original Message ----- From: "David Rose" <drokaudysseygam...@ddrose.com>
To: "Gamers Discussion list" <gamers@audyssey.org>
Sent: Friday, January 28, 2011 12:07 PM
Subject: [Audyssey] Windows screen reader software?

Hi folks,

My apologies if I bring up a question that has already been discussed to death, but I don't see anything about this in a casual browsing of the archives.

At first I thought I didn't have any screen reader software, so I couldn't test the accessibility of my RSW website directly. But then I realized that every Mac has VoiceOver built-in, and it's quite nice! I've been going through my web pages with VoiceOver, and I've found a number of minor issues that I'll be correcting.

But I'd hate to fine-tune my pages to VoiceOver's quirks only, without knowing about similar quirks in other software. In particular, what do Windows users typically use to browse the web? I see that Narrator is built-in to Windows, but it's almost unusable. Even Narrator itself recommends users buy a third-party program instead.

So, if I were to purchase one such third-party program for the purpose of testing my website's accessibility under Windows, which program should it be?

Thanks!
David