Hi Jeremy,
Yes, I have had the same problems. However, as it is meant to be a community project, those who cannot use VB6 for whatever reason are left out of the loop, only being able to make basic contributions when they have skill at actually taking part in the development process.
Regards,
Damien.

To: "Gamers Discussion list" <gamers@audyssey.org>
Sent: Saturday, January 29, 2011 8:42 AM
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] Heli

Just jumping here to say that the compatibility with newer windows versions is pretty much the only good point from that list. As long as the game includes the legacy DirectX libs, there really isn't a problem though.

The c-style syntax argument is only valid if the person doesn't already know other languages and is looking to learn them down the road. I would imagine most, if not all, of the game developers here who aren't using BGT have experience using a few languages.

If a developer is using Visual basic 6.0 then why would they care about its availability for purchase? Clearly they already have it if they are using it.

When it comes to writing wrappers for SAPI, direct sound, direct input, networking, and such, there isn't an issue either. If a developer is comfortable writing that code themselves, then more power to them I say. Not everyone likes having things done for them, and a person who has opted to code in a straight language has probably done so because they want to be more independent.

I'm not looking to jump into a flame war, but I personally hate when people try to push programming languages onto other developers. Over the years every time I used a different language I ran into someone who seemed personally offended that I wasn't using some Other language. When using VB I had people upset that I wasn't using C++, when I did projects in C++ someone would argue I was stupid for not using C-sharp. The Java nuts didn't want me using C-sharp and the Objective-C mac followers didn't want me using Java! It never frikin ends and no one seems to understand that the languages have survived because they all have their own advantages and disadvantages. In the end it all gets converted into machine code anyways, so spend more time focusing on the end product rather than the language the guy used to make it please.