Hi Ken,

First, you are right. C# .net is much much easier than C++ to learn.
There are a number of good reasons why it has replaced Visual Basic in
academic circles as the new beginners programming language. I'll list
some of the main ones below.

Garbage Collection --- In C and C++ it was always necessary to do your
own memory management and your own garbage collection. If you
initialized a pointer you had to properly destroy it or cause memory
leaks and errors. With C# .net the .net runtime has built in garbage
collection that frequently cleans up unused memory etc allowing you to
write more stable and error free code.Of course, it is still a good
idea to do your own garbage collection, but the garbage collecter is a
nice safety net you don't have with C++.

String Handling --- In C++ there are a number of character string
types that makes it difficult to cast one type of string to another.
Since Windows XP, Vista, and Windows 7 use unicode you often find
yourself in the position of casting strings between ansci and unicode.
Since C# .net uses the System.String class the .net framework handles
these types of conversions automatically for you. This makes it
several times easier when ever you need to pass a string to a function
and you have no idea of what string data type the function requires.

Rapid Development --- Like Visual Basic C# .net was designed to
rapidly create software through a simple point and click interface.
You can create forms, buttons, list boxes, and other GUI controls
simply by dragging and dropping objects from the C# .net toolbox.
Obviously, this is one of the features that made Visual Basic so
popular in the late 90's and now is available in all the Visual Studio
languages.

Software Portability --- As with Java and other runtime languages C#
.net software is quite portable. If you use a cross-platform
compatible design, such as Mono,  you can build and run C# .net
applications on Mac OS, Linux, and Windows with very little issues
porting between platforms. This makes it easier for a developer like
yourself to create software for Mac and Linux without owning and/or
using the target platform yourself.

Reserved Words --- Unlike a lot of other languages C# .net only has a
small handful of reserved words for the language. This makes learning
and using the language much easier than other triditional programming
languages as Microsoft did a fair job of trying to keep it simple
stupid while at the same time offering developers a powerful
programming language that meets their needs.

C-Style Syntax ---  C# .net, as the name implies, is a member of the C
family of languages. The advantage here is that many tech schools,
colleges, and universities use C# .net as an introductory course in
preparation for teaching Java, C++, and other more advanced C based
languages. Unlike Visual Basic learning C# .net will help you as a
programmer get the fundimentals of C, C++, Java, etc and if you ever
choose to learn them C# .net will give you an introductory foundation
to work from.

Second, I've looked at Sharp Develop. Although, admitedly my
experience is pretty limited. Most of the time I either use Visual C#
2008 on Windows, or if I'm on Linux I use Monodevelop. I happen to
like Monodevelop myself, and it is pretty accessible with Orca which
makes me happy.

Cheers!