Actually Ken, that's right along the lines with future Daytona games.  I've
been tied up with a whole lot of stuff so I haven't had much time to work on
programming, but there is a large multiplayer Daytona expansion in the works as
well as a whole second game.  Obviously it isn't released yet but in the alpha
version I'm working on I can already battle a computer controlled wizard using
shapes to cast spells and shields.  This sounds a lot like your thoughts on
special moves.