Yes, and the cues could be turned on and off. I was thinking that a 1-step boundary would be good, but what about using boundary width to show the pit's width? That, combined with an analog jumping system, would give you a good visual on the pit's width so you could know how far to jump, and not just when. The boundary sounds don't need to be that lod either. There is no need for obtrusive cues--they can blend well into the ambient sounds, just like the boundary does in Mota.
Ken Downey
The Addictor
www.TheAddictor.com

To: "Gamers Discussion list" <gamers@audyssey.org>
Sent: Wednesday, April 06, 2011 9:26 PM
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] anyone got anny suggestions for the next version ofbattlezone?

Personally, best option in my opinion is just to treat it as extra ambiance if you don't want to use it as a cue. I know in my experiences whenever I've walked near a pit in real life it's never just been an abrupt stop... there's either loose dirt or an edge, something of the sort... and adapting isn't really the problem here. The problem is more the ability to judge the distances and ranges in the first place.