Dark and Willem,

I appreciate the kind words. As I wrote in my previous post, skepticism is
warranted. As you both said, though, there is enough here that it's not just
an "I'm planning to do this" type announcement. In fact, here's exactly what
exists at this point:

There is an opponent object, and he is able to throw a full range of upper
and lower punches from achingly slow to too-fast-to-dodge.
There is a player object, and he can throw his four basic punches and an
ultra punch. He can dodge and block.
Both the player and opponent can be knocked down and can stand up. In the
case of the player, this requires some serious button mashing. This also
includes a referee who will count the player or opponent out if he is down
too long. It also includes the TKO rule: if a fighter is knocked down 3
times in one round, the fight is over.
There are methods in place that allow the player to do extra damage
depending on how he counters his opponents' punches.
All this being said, it is possible to have a complete fight with the test
opponent, provided the fight doesn't last into the second round.

What I still need to do:
Build the framework for stat tracking. I want to display the stats of a
given round after it has ended. Right now, though, the code I have in place
to do that is ugly as sin and needs to be refactored. I need to pass each
round to the fight and eventually pass each fight to the career stats.
That's my mission for today.
Build in a record system to keep track of player and opponent wins and
losses. If an opponent beats you, and you challenge him to a rematch, his
win/loss record will need to reflect that he beat you. Ditto for yours.
Finish the code to win/lose a fight. When you win or lose a fight right now,
the only thing that happens is that the bell rings. That needs to be
changed.
Build code so that the player can win/lose by decision.
Wrap the game in a menu system so that the fight doesn't start as soon as
you launch the game.
Finish programming the opponents. In most cases this will be a matter of
laying out punches. For a few specific opponents, however--the pirate, the
cowboy, the creation (more on that soon)--it will require a few extra
methods. That will come once I've completed the alpha.
Finish with sound design. That's probably my biggest hurdle, and it's going
to take some time. I picked up a Yeti microphone, and I love it, but I'm
having trouble getting Sound Forge to recognize it. I suppose I could use
Garage Band to record the voices, but I'm not good enough with GB at this
point to just bust out the Mac and record those files on the fly. I don't
even know if you can monitor GB for clipping. That, too, will come after the
alpha.
Design the achievement system. There are stats in place to check for
achievements, but nothing is being done with them. I need to come up with
specific achievements and start implementing them. That's another beta-level
undertaking.
And, of course, there's the complete lack of documentation that currently
exists. As a matter of fact, this is the most I've ever written about the
game.

As you can see from the above, the blog, and my previous posts, this is all
incredibly new. It is progressing, though. I never would have dreamed 4
months ago that I would have a working proto-type of a game. While there is
a lot yet to accomplish, especially since I'll be developing in the evenings
opposite my full-time job, completion isn't that far off.

As always, I'll keep you posted.

Best,
Ryan