well this reminds me of the nightjar but the apolo 13 mission could be interesting.
Same concept as the night jar, or slightly worse outcome.
Something like having an explosion send the ship into deep space for starters then the rest of actual game. Ofcause with all the failing systems, and actually trying to get into earth, you could either be trying to get back, or evolve the plot, this could involve aliens both good and bad, etc.
ANd other things.
Eventually getting a better ship than you got, then fixing things and going back. You could have multipul endings maybe like a choose your own adventure story but it gets complex anyway.