Willem, I completely agree.  I didn't originally intend for mice to be so
useful, but as things got more complex I was afraid to go back and start
messing with the underlying equations of the game.  When I was designing the
game I expected rabbits and squirrels to be much better in different situations
because they provide predators way more food when eaten.  I hadn't counted on
the fact that mice reproduce to fast that a predator can just eat several mice
to do just as well.  As you can imagine, even a slight change to how the mice
work would cause balancing issues to ripple up through the layers, and I just
didn't have the confidence in myself to start fooling with it.  Just my luck, I
would have broken the entire game lol!