Hi dave.
There are several languages.
most start with autoit but  thats crappy.
If you want to stay with a script based language that is free try python.
Obviously I don't know about the libs etc but python has made nvda so its stable.

If you wan to not worry about stuff, bgt is a good idea.
You will have to pay for compiled free, one licence or unlimited but source code can be shared if you are that way in mind. Finally there are the dotnet languages which are supposed to be easy ish and then c++ which is quite hard.
It all depends on what you are happy to handle.
Bgt if you can master it has sapi5, multinet and direct sound support.
Also the fact that updates of the engine will have at most small changes to code to no changes for things as far as libraries are concerned would rather rock. On the side there is always streamway library for your sound directx and sapi needs.

In the more closed off stages there is genisis which is still being developed and gma which is not public but can be nogatiated with. It is though a vb6 engine right now though conversion is aparently ongoing but no one has seen the actual engine.

These are just the audio games obviously.
If its text or sound you want, hugo, a language I use as well as glulx inform7 is quite good.
tads tads html tads2 and tads3 are all good text languages.
There is also adrift which you need to pay if you use the latest version fo 4, 3.9 is free fully. I myself am a pascal freepascal programmer, but I havn't persued anything over writing lines on screen.
If I could make games with this then I'd do that.