I think walls are generally confusing a lot of people at the moment, so let me
give a little bit of clarification on how they should be used.  It is true that
they are expensive, but when used properly they are insanely valuable and their
costs needed to reflect that.

Enemies can not move diagonally.  They will travel north, south, east, or west
by a single tile when it is their time to move.  Any manner of trees or rocks
serves as an impassable barrier, just as it did to the Goblins, so you must
imagine that the only places they can walk are the empty tiles of land.  If
trees existed at say, A2 and B3, enemies can not squeeze diagonally between
them.

The walls you place only affect that single tile they are built on.  There are
Many! places around the map where blocking a single tile would force enemies to
travel back and around some clump of trees or rocks, these are the kinds of
tricks you will want to employ.  It would be prohibitively expensive to just
pick an open field and build 5 walls side by side to block off that way in.
Plan carefully so that you can block off the maximum number of ways in, while
building the fewest walls.  If done properly you could eventually block in your
entire base so that no enemies could ever march upon it again!  The reason you
have to build 12 cheap catapults instead of 1 expensive ship is actually due to
the power of walls.  I needed to require at least 12 empty tiles to build
catapults on, so that when walling in your territory you need at least that
much space.  I had to make sure people couldn't block in a tiny 2 by 2 area and
actually win the mission that
 way.

I have been adjusting my initial settlement placement each time I play, because
there is a huge trade off between being farther from the map edges (where
enemies appear), being close to resources, being close to water for fishing,
and being in a spot that I can defend with walls as easily as possible.  It is
a Lot! to juggle, and I would actually love to hear some other people's
strategies for picking spots on the map.  I'm currently on the look out for the
best spot to build so that I can defend it with the fewest number of walls.