We do have a key to flush the buffer actually.  The tilde/guave key (~) will
pull the next message from the buffer.  You can keep pressing it until it makes
a noise to indicate that there are no more messages in reserve.
Holding shift and pressing guave/tilde brings up the general message menu.
Once you are working with a huge population and the messages are piling up,
many people will disable certain types of messages to prevent them from being
displayed.  For example, in mission 4 I eventually disabled the enemy
advancement messages once my population got larger.  That 1 change almost
eliminated my problem of back logging messages.  I think I eventually disabled
a few more as my settlement grew, but that's the general idea.
Disabled messages are remembered between games though, so don't forget that
you've turned some off.

In the version I'm still working on, the game uses sound and a spoken number to
tell you there are backlogged messages whenever you pause the game.  That will
probably help people realize they need to check it.