Hi Curt,

No offence, but that's even more confusing. Room 8 is the room with
the broken floor which you have to jump over to reach room 9. That's
after you open the bronze statue in room 7. If you went left, back
into room 7 and down the wooden staircase, that would bring you back
into room 1. If you are in room 1 and move left you would run into a
stone wall. Besides that there are no items in room 1. That's the room
you start out in. Are you checking the rooms using the r key or
guessing room numbers here?

The reason I ask is your descriptions of things don't match the actual
level map file. You are describing things that are in other rooms. So
it sounds like you are guessing room numbers rather than actually
using the r command to get room and location info.

HTH